Sunday, February 21, 2010

Shalom Cardigan: Done


A quick to knit, perfect for chilly days, new for me, and flattering sweater! Remember when I went to Burlington? I visited the wonderful Kaleidoscope Yarns (where, hold on, they actually keep *stock on hand!!!!!* so that I could purchase ten skeins right on the spot...instead of the frustrating local phenomenon of: Oh, sorry, yup we only have those two skeins left, but we could order it for you. Blech.) and purchased yarn for the Shalom Cardigan (free pattern) by Involving the Senses, that I first saw on SouleMama's blog.
Except there were a few things "wrong" with the pattern: the only size offered was for a 34" bust and the original was knit for a 6' tall woman. Oh, AND, the original was knit without sleeves (huh?). So this is where the wonders of Ravelry started to make sense to me: I was able to log on and search for others who had knit the Shalom.
First, I started looking at all the little thumbnail photos for a slightly curvier lady. Then I used her directions for a 38" bust and SouleMama's directions for sleeves, and tweaked a few other details, and came up with a very cozy addition to my wardrobe. You can find my conglomerate of patterns here.
And how could I resist THIS addition to my personal library??? This Book Is Overdue: How Librarians and Cybrarians Can Save Us All by Marilyn Johnson. Though it's sometimes hard to get excited about more school-work-related reading, this is a pretty cozy bedfellow. Already, I love this Marilyn Johnson for her snappy and clever rejoinder to that tired question I get asked: Do we still need libraries/librarians in the age of Google? The answer she gives is essentially, OK sure, for most of you reading this blog, you obviously know your way around a computer and a mouse. But what about those folks who need hand-holding to print their e-ticket? Or how about if you're pretty savvy and have your own computer and internet at home but you're still not quite sure how to even phrase a question that Google will understand? What if you don't speak English as your native language but you need to navigate an online form to apply for a job at McDonald's?
my Library of Congress bookmark from ClimateGirl
Total nerdy fun. And even if you're not a librarian, this is interesting and rousing reading. I kind of hope my parents and loved ones will read this book, so they know a little bit more about the profession I am in and the one I am studying. (And yes, we are getting it for the Rockport Library's collection also! I have already put some names on the hold list!)

4 comments:

  1. oooooh I love that cardigan. And it was quick? I combine patterns sometimes too, but you are way more skilled than I am in knitting! ~Lili

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that cardigan looks fantastic. I am so impressed that you a) knit it so neatly b)finished an entire knitted garment (something I have seldom ever done) and c) made adjustments successfully!
    Qudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loove it?

    I loved it even more when I saw it in person, though!

    How was the big city weekend?

    XO,

    Rhea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Knitting, books, libraries, photos - LOVE your blog. Welcome to the Teacher Librarian Ning!

    ReplyDelete