Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Wool Socks Are Still Useful in June, in Maine

...Oh, the Lovely-ness of a rainy garden in summer!
These are some of Joanie's Japanese Irises, that I pretty much wish I could eat with a spoon. Don't you just picture them on Kimono fabric?

Knitting News: Completion...and Beginning!
I finally finished my socks! If you can remember way back to February when I first showed you them in progress (and later in an update), with birthday yarn by Noro! Hooray! It's been chilly and damp here this week, perfect for wearing these lovelies around.

I used the Two-at-a-Time method on one very long circular needle...which means that the socks are both done (only 5 months later) and I don't have to face the dreaded Second Sock Syndrome! And to be fair, I was also a little busy with other things this spring, so not consumed by a passion to finish.

But the passion to finish did get to me when I found my next project, funny how that works. I happened to be passing by a yarn store that is going out of business and I went in, foolishly thinking that I could leave the store with maybe one small ball of cotton yarn for a face cloth. But I happened upon five balls of Rowan Kid Silk Haze (70% kid mohair, 30% silk) in a lovely raspberry...
...at 50% off! And I had recently admired a very sweet little feminine summery sweater on a friend who directed me to this pattern in Interweave Knits (Winter 2004), which I even already own! (Oh, the serendipity of it all!)
Now you can see, from the edging I am working on below, that it is a much airier look than the photo:
It looks so nice in person! My friend made hers lacey like this and in a beautiful orange...And as for buttons: I'm thinking just one very delicate button at the top.

And my boys are leaving tomorrow for a few days...Me, I will be here enjoying a house that gets to stay clean, knitting a lot, working at the library on Saturday (hosting BookLovers' Cafe at 10:00-11:30 with my homemade muffins and scones, tea and coffee for all participants), and going to a bonfire for St. Johnstide on Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment